Small Business Blogging
Now I’m the first to admit that finding time to write a regular blog isn’t easy. Especially for small business owners who are generally busy running their business not blogging about it!
However as a marketing consultant, I also know that blogging is a hugely important part of the marketing mix these days.
Not only for search engines, but also to build your brand, build your profile and build trust. Even in age of the world wide web, people still buy from people, and we buy from people and companies we trust and like.
Blogging and social media offer huge potential for all of the above.
I have to admit like many people I still struggle to find the time to put aside for blogging and social media, but I better start practising what I preach.
So these are my top tips for making time to blog:
- Blog about something you feel passionate and excited about – hopefully you feel passionate about your business, products and services, but find the elements of it that you most enjoy and write about them. It will make blogging much easier and far less of a chore.
- Make time to write a blog – Obvious duh, but I know it’s easier said than done. Set aside time on a regular basis and be strict with yourself, make yourself do it until eventually it becomes routine.
- Have a ‘Blog Ideas’ list – and write them down as and when they come to you, even if it is in the middle of the night.
- Have a stash of back up blog posts – on the days you feel inspired write blogs to your hearts content, and then use them when you’re having an off day.
- Put some personality into your blog – write like you’re talking to a friend (but obviously a friend that likes good grammar and doesn’t like expletives), then the words will flow and it will make much better reading for your followers.
- Keep your eye on the prize – remember why you are blogging. SEO, Building your profile, building your companies’ profile, to become an authority in your field – ultimately blogging and social media are all part of the modern marketing mix and everything you write is helping to build your business!
- Enjoy it – don’t put pressure on yourself to reinvent the wheel every time, blogs don’t have to be long and wordy. Short, sweet, engaging blogs are generally the most effective.
So there we are, they’re all really quite simple but sometimes you just need a little nudge in the right direction!
If you need any inspiration on how to make your blogs more engaging let me know and I’d be happy to help.
Happy blogging everyone!